I’m an Educator and Writer. I started teaching in local high schools as an English and History teacher in 2007. In 2009, I became a Curriculum Coordinator and Curriculum Advisor for Education students at a local university.
In 2011, whilst still working as a full-time teacher, I owned and operated my own tutoring centre with a fellow primary school teacher. We didn’t have a comprehensive curriculum that scaffolded the entire literacy process, so I designed a whole system of carefully scaffolded literacy resources, from Early Childhood to University Level. You can find those resources here.
After 2 1/2 years of running the tutoring centre, I was offered a more permanent role with the university that would lead me on the pathway to completing my Ph.D in Literacy. But after being within the system, and seeing the realities of being a professor and what it entailed in the 21st century, I decided that the lecturing lifestyle did not suit me. I also sold my half of the tutoring centre to my business partner.
I created Life-changing Learning 3 years ago and have worked as an Instructional Designer and I.T. Systems Administrator with an Education start-up during that time.
I’m currently a Curriculum and Literacy Specialist who designs literacy products, such as learning resources and games, for primary and high school students.
I also run a podcast with a fellow teacher, Nicole Feledy, called the Teachers: What's Next? podcast.
Bachelor of Education and Bachelor of Arts (English and History)
James Cook University, Cairns (2004-2007)
- Mentor and tutor on university campus
- Graduated with the University Medal - ranked in top 4 of 800 graduates
Diploma of Business Administration and Management
New South Wales TAFE, Strathfield (2013-2014)
- Completed during administration and management of Cairns South Aldon Tutoring Centre
- Completed with Distinction
July 2017 – Current Literacy Content Developer
- Developing strategic English literacy content that follows a continuum of learning in Australia and other curriculum regions around the world.
- Working in consultation and collaboration with development and creative personnel to produce educational materials (Prep to Senior High School) that meet students' diverse literacy needs. This includes the development of diagnostic tools to evaluate students' English literacy levels and factors that may impede their learning.
Feb 2015 – Jan 2016 Instructional Designer and I.T. Systems Administrator
CSTC PTY LTD (IMINEN)
- Design and development of intuitive online learning materials and courseware
- Design and development of company websites, including changes to CSS, HTML and other design aspects of the website. Maintenance and migration of LMS on company VPN and VPS.
- Creation of online marketing materials, from videos placed on Youtube, to written articles for both Facebook and LinkedIn. Involved in storyboarding scripts and design of product videos.
Feb 2013 – Jan 2015 Teacher/Tutor
JAMES COOK UNIVERSITY
- Delivered and created quality educational instruction and materials for students enrolled in Year One and Two Education subjects at the School of Education. Face-to-face instruction, online delivery through the use of Camtasia and Blackboard with a focus on literacy development and the creation of content videos for Youtube (ED1421 and ED2491).
Jan 2013 – Dec 2103 Teacher
ST ANDREW’S CATHOLIC COLLEGE
- Responsible for integration of ICTs in the Senior English curriculum, including the creation of the innovative Flipped Classroom model. Utilised Edmodo and Moodle to delivery curriculum both online and face-to-face.
- Provided ICT workshops for staff to utilise new technologies, such as LMSs and iPads, and software applications, such as Turnitin and Edmodo, in their teaching practice.
Feb 2011 – June 2013 Director/Teacher
CAIRNS SOUTH ALDON TUTORING CENTRE
- Delivered and created quality educational instruction to students of a variety of ages and skill levels. Specialised in the development of high-quality literacy resources that catered for the learning needs of students of all ages, from Prep to University level.
- Developed advertising campaigns that included design and development of pamphlets, information booklets and a mascot for advertising at shopping centres and showgrounds.
Feb 2009 – Jul 2014 Curriculum Consultant
JAMES COOK UNIVERSITY (JCU), Cairns
- Employed a range of learning experiences, including the development of resources to scaffold student-teacher learning in the teaching of Junior and Secondary English. Included discussion, work-shadowing and online communication and support to a class of Third and Fourth Year Education students.
- Utilised a range of online communication tools, including Blackboard and Moodle, to design and deliver online content.
Jan 2007 – Dec 2012 Teacher
TRINITY BAY STATE HIGH SCHOOL & CAIRNS STATE HIGH SCHOOL
- Involved in the panel process as a teacher of Year 11 and 12 Authority-registered subjects on a number of occasions within multiple school locations. Instrumental in the development, submission, resubmission and review of work programs.
- Successfully completed unit plans and assessment tasks, excursions and other extra-curricular events. For example, coordinated debating teams for three years and the Constitutional Convention for two years.
Jan 2005 – Jan 2007 ESL (English as a Second Language) Teaching
WINDMILL COLLEGE, Kewarra Beach
- Organised personalised ESL units for individual students to ensure they progressed in their acquisition of language and literacy. Implemented TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) teaching strategies and techniques.
- Employed Direct Instruction teaching strategies in teaching students to acquire competence in Australian English.